According to Johns Hopkins Medical Institute, head lice spread more frequently during the fall and winter months as families in the Dallas-Fort Worth area and around the country spend more time together during the holidays; children playing, sharing screens and of course lots of hugging. The holidays bring enough overwhelm without worrying about bringing head lice to your friends and family.
Doctors warn against using Over-the-Counter products repeatedly – one or two uses are not enough to take care of these heavy-duty Super Lice. Doctors at Johns Hopkins stated “Do not use the products repeatedly because they contain strong chemicals and can irritate and inflame the scalp.” YIKES!
Ensuring happy holiday seasons for families in Dallas-Forth Worth since 2014. Here are some tips from the lice experts at Lice Clinics DFW:
Holiday Lice Prevention tips:
- Avoid head-to-head contact. When greeting and giving hugs be mindful of your hair and try to avoid direct contact.
- Wear hair in tight styles such as buns and braids. This helps limit the chance of contact and gives lice less hair to attach to.
- Do not share accessories that come in contact with your head or hair. Things like brushes, pillows, and hair accessories. As well as outdoor gear like hats, jackets, and hoodies are things that should not be shared.
- Check for head lice by combing through wet hair with a fine comb to keep your mind at ease.
- Use head lice prevention products – Lice Clinics DFW has your back with Lice Prevention Mint Spray
Signs of Head Lice
- Itching is usually the first sign that lice may be present.
- Head lice are most often found close to the scalp, behind the ears, and along the neckline.
- Sometimes small red sores will form on the scalp from vigorous scratching after being bitten by the louse.
- An itching sensation and bumps are the most common sign. A crawling sensation may also occur.
- Nits (lice eggs) are usually found attached to the hair about ½ inch from the scalp. They are white to yellow in color and must be forcefully removed from the hair.
Helpful Head Lice Facts
- Head Lice cannot live more than 24-48 hours without a host and will soon die if they leave one.
- Lice do not fly or jump unlike many popular myths. Direct contact is the most common way head lice is spread.
- The strain of lice we know as ‘head lice’ is not the same found on common household pets and there is no need to worry about giving your pets lice or pets giving you head lice.
- Head lice do not discriminate; anyone can get head lice!
Read here for more lice facts:
The holiday season can be overwhelming enough, what makes it worse is the increase in cases of ‘super lice’ in the Dallas Fort Worth area. Super lice are resistant to pesticides used in store bought lice shampoos. These super bugs could make for an extra stressful holiday family gathering. The length of time and repeated treatments they require, could cause the lice to pop right back up during your family feast. But you do not have to worry about that; you can go see the in-laws, hug the children. Lice Clinics DFW, your local lice experts, can make sure of that. In just one stress free visit!
Head lice are the last guests you want joining in your holiday festivities! Be sure to follow our prevention tips for a lice-free holiday season! Should head lice become a problem, Lice Clinics DFW is always here with the latest in lice removal care and advice since 2014. We remove lice fast and chemical-free the same day – that’s our promise! Book now or call today 214-227-6776